Message from the Director - Dr Martin Vinnell
Welcome to the Safety Office section of the Occupational Health and Safety Service (OHSS). This is a central resource of the University that is here to support all the varied aspects of our research and teaching. My staff have an impressive number of years' experience in their fields of expertise and a breadth of knowledge that enables them to advise on almost every aspect of health and safety in your departments and institutions. I believe that we provide a service which offers realistic and practical solutions in support of all the varied aspects of our work.
Our task is to contribute to the success of the University through the promotion of a safe and healthy place to work, study, visit and enjoy and accordingly, it is our mission:
“to assist all sectors of the University in managing health and safety, by delivering professional services in support of our core goals of teaching and research and operational needs.”
All of us in this office believe that health and safety must enable you to achieve your goals and not inhibit or stifle you. We do this by:
- Giving you the help, advice and support you need to effectively manage health and safety in your Department.
- Producing clear, sensible and proportional guidance and codes of practice and policy on a wide range of topics.
- Providing you with training courses, developed and delivered for your needs.
- Undertaking an audit programme to ensure you are achieving legal compliance and supporting your management needs.
- Being the first point of contact with the regulatory authorities and supporting your department when they visit and inspect.
- Carrying out a comprehensive environmental monitoring programme.
- Working with Colleges and the wider University community.
By working together we have integrated health and safety into the overall good management of the University and a straightforward part of your duties and responsibilities - if your experience is otherwise, please let me know so that we can continue to improve our service.
Dr Martin Vinnell